Wednesday, October 14, 2015

"Conviction"

I try not to think in absolutes. You'll never hear me say there's only one way to do something, or anyone that doesn't do something the way I do it is wrong.

Conviction is something I love, in myself, and in other people. I feel conviction is an extremely important trait to have. Having the courage to stand up for what you believe in is something that says a lot about a person. There's nothing I love more than going toe to toe with someone in a debate, it gets the blood going, the adrenaline going, it's good for the soul. 

I'll be the first to say, I piss a lot of people off. A lot. But it's always something I've taken pride in. You'll never ever see me back down from something I believe for the sake of "civility" or "letting sleeping dogs lie". I'm gonna stand up and shout my beliefs, and if you don't agree with me, that's fine. 

I think a large reason as to why people are afraid to display conviction is because they don't want to be disliked. It's easier to back down and tuck tail than to stand and deal with the repercussion of negativity from other people. We live in a society where if you don't agree with someone on a certain topic or belief it gives you the right to hate them. I've always found this odd. 

One of my favorite quotes is:

"Just because I disagree with you, doesn't mean I don't respect you".

No two people think the same, and if we all hated everyone we didn't agree with, we'd be in a sad lonely world. 

So what is conviction really?

Conviction isn't only something we should have in our beliefs, but also in ourselves. Conviction is what keeps me fighting. Conviction is what keeps me going after weights that I've missed the last 10 times I've tried them. Conviction is what keeps my mind focused on my task at hand, whether it be in the gym or out. 

Conviction is what tells you to go right when everyone else is going left and know that turning away from the crowd is the best thing for you.

Conviction is what keeps you strong when it would be easier to be weak. 

No comments:

Post a Comment