Tuesday, September 15, 2015

"Bodyweight"

Finding my ideal bodyweight for training has been one of the toughest things I've ever done. When I started weightlifting I was 6'3" 215lbs, and everyone I knew who had spent time in the sport said that the 94kg class was no place for anyone over 6 foot, so I gained weight.

Once I got into the sport more seriously I started to figure out the more weight I gained, the stronger I got, and the quicker I recovered. Late night pizza and pancakes for breakfast meant lot's of PR's, but also lots of weight gain. 

Before I knew it (actually a few years later) I found myself at 280+lbs, chubby, and out of shape. I also found myself to light to be a +105kg, and too heavy to be within cutting distance of 105kg.

I could still hit daily maxes above 95% without issue, but my mobility suffered, my energy was low, and I didn't feel like an athlete. My quest for getting as big and strong as possibly got me bigger and stronger, but not where I wanted to be.

5 minute rests between sets were normal, and EMOM's were damn near impossible. It was around this time I decided to take my training more seriously and pack up my shit to go train with Jon. 

It was there that I found out how out of shape I really was, earning me the nickname of "RedWhiteAndPlump" so I decided to change it. The only question was, how?

I had cut weight for bodybuilding before, so I tried to implement the same strategies for weightlifting. Cut overall caloric intake, drop fat and carbs, take protein high. About two weeks in I realized how big of a mistake this was, I was losing weight, but also strength, and my recovery was awful. After crashing and burning I started to do some more in depth research on losing weight while maintaining strength. I realized that maintaining strength and recovery had to be the priority, instead of dropping weight faster. 

After reading about 10 hours worth of contradictory content I decided this was not the route to take, so I contacted TeamDO coach Jared Enderton about helping me get back to an athletic weight. Jared had previously weighed over 300lbs as a strongman competitor, and got himself down to the 85kg class (187lbs) as a weightlifter. Jared's advice has been amazing in helping me drop weight slowly and responsibly and keep my strength levels at a premium, and even get stronger. 

Finding one's ideal bodyweight for training is a tough task, but once you hit it you know how it should feel. You get stronger, you recover, and you don't ever feel under fed. 

I plan on competing in the future as a 105kg lifter, and am currently sitting around 120kg on my way down. 

2 comments:

  1. Russell - Awesome insight; would love to see some of the advice he gave you; have been working myself down from ~330 myself. I've been down to dip my toe in the 260's but am currently sitting at 27X...

    Reducing calories seems to lose weight but hitting my previous max has been damn near impossible. would appreciate the insight of someone who has dropped the fat while maintaining the muscle.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, likewise, would like to know more about the advice you've received! I'm struggling to feel comfortable at my current body weight, but lowering my calories is just making me tired and hungry! Not conducive to training... So if you care to share, I'd be grateful :)

    ReplyDelete